Friday, September 23, 2005

"Help you I can, mmm yes!"


This week in lab we had our first device design group meetings with me and I wanted to put up a short post with my overall impressions. I pretty much like what I heard from all the groups. You'all clearly went out and, at the very least, began the background research necessary to understand your particular assigned cell type and the general concept of membrane potential and how it is regulated in a normal cell. This is exactly where you should have started.

The next step will be to continue and deepen your research based on what you have learned so far and on your discussions with me. Next week (assuming the University is back up and running after Hurricane Rita) we'll plan to meet using the chat function of WebCT. I also encourage you all to query me via the WebCT discussion function as question arise in your design project.

Let me just take this opportunity to reassure you that, while it is unlikely your finished design will be a nanomachine we could build with today's technology, do not doubt that, if nanotechnology research progresses at its current rate, machines much like the ones you are designing will be buildable within 5 to 10 years or so! Do not be distressed by the "extension" of current technology that will be necessary for your project assignment. Run your ideas past me and I will let you know if they fall within the realm of acceptable futurism or not. Think big, think creatively.

Finally, an instructive story about the great, late biochemist and Nobel Prize winner, Linus Pauling. When asked by an interviewer how it was that he kept coming up with so many great ideas he replied "First, have lots of ideas!".

Stay safe this weekend and I will see you all after the storm!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home