Sunday, March 28, 2010

Late-Night Drinking has no effect on Test Taking Ability

This article was about how drinking a moderate amount of alcohol will not impair a person’s ability to take a test the next morning. The test was conducted on a group of 193 student participants who were given alcoholic/non-alcoholic drinks at night then took a standardized test in the morning. Each of the participants who drank alcoholic beverages were given enough alcohol to reach a BAC of 0.12. It was found that there was no statistical difference between the two groups. Drinking a moderate amount of alcohol the night before a test has no effect on test taking abilities.

This study did not take into consideration the student’s academic performance only test taking ability the morning after a night of drinking. In other words this study did not prove that students who binge drink are able to do just as well as a student who does not drink. It only proved that students who felt slightly hung over were able to answer questions as well as other students who were not hung over. It has been shown that students who drink regularly are unable to pay attention in class because they are hung over. This is due to drowsiness, head-aches, and general discomfort from the night before. This inability to pay attention in class can lead to no performing as well in class.

I found this article very interesting because as a college student I am very interested in my academic performance as well as having fun on Thursday nights. I think that it is interesting that students were able to perform the same after a night of drinking, but I don’t think that I would ever do this before a test. I think that the alcohol’s effects would not impair my thinking after I have sobered up but I would perform poorly because I wouldn’t have studied the material enough. Theoretically I think that a student who is prepared well in advance could perform the same after drinking. I also can relate to the studies statement that academic performance is related to drinking. I know that it is next to impossible to pay attention in class after “thirsty Thursday” thus leading to academic decline. I will still not drink on Thursday nights because I find my studies more important than having fun.

Andrew Ritchey
VTPP 435-502

http://www.dailyfreepress.com/news/study-late-night-drinking-no-problem-for-test-takers-1.2201531

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home