Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Omphalocele

Babies can be born with their abdominal organs outside of their bodies. I had never heard of such of a condition so I thought I would share it with everyone. In the article on FoxNews, a baby girl was born with this condition. She is doing very well after being born on Feb 20. After 20 weeks gestation, the parents knew that their child would have this condition. I believed that the strange thing about this condition is that they do not put the organs back inside of her body until about 6-8 monthes of age. The reason the surgeons can't put them in right after the baby is born is because the abdoninal cavity is abnormally small due to the fact that it wasn't stretched by the organs. They put an antibodic cream on the organs so that the walls of them would harden and serve as better protection until they are put back in. I also researched the condition more and found that this condition is not very common and that it is a sex-linked recessive trait. I chose this article because I thought students should know more about this condition.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,352085,00.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home