Friday, October 27, 2006

Study shows a link between psoriasis and increased heart attack risk

A recent study shows that middle-aged people with more severe forms of psoriasis were twice as likely to have a heart attack than those that don't. Psoriasis is a skin disease that results in itchy and sometimes scaly red patches on the skin. It occurs when the body's immune system attacks its own skin cells. Although there are different forms ranging from very severe to very mild, it affects approximately 2% of the western population.
The study also showed that less severe forms of psoriasis can elevate the risk of a heart attack for people in their mid-40's by 20%.
This article is interesting to me personally because I have a mild form of psoriasis. On top of that, my family has a history of heart attacks and cardiovascular disease. If anything, it has made me more aware of my psoriasis and its potential problems.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15209007/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home