Thursday, April 27, 2006

Camp for All

This past weekend I went to Camp for All. It is a camp for disabled children. The disabilities ranged from Down syndrome to autism. I had never really worked with children like this before, so I did a little research before I went to camp. Down syndrome is a disorder that includes a combination of birth defects such as: mental retardation, characteristic facial features, often heart defects, etc. Autism is a pervasive developmental disorder which means that it affects how the child functions in several areas such as: speech, social skills, and behavior. There are different types of autism. The causes of Down syndrome and Autism are both caused by genetic disorders. I also would like to just say something about my experience at camp. I learned that children with autism and Down syndrome, even though they are mentally retarded, are actually very similar to normal people. They have all the same basic feelings, emotions, and needs as everybody else. These children are very special to me, and I am glad that I volunteered to be at camp.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home